Quantum Software – Scientific Manager
About the Role:
With demand to develop our research, collaborations and products, CQC are pleased to announce we are looking for a talented individual to join the team as a Scientific Manager. You will come from a scientific background, but importantly will enjoy working on broader business matters including developing our teams, leading collaborations with our partners and helping to manage the many exciting scientific and operational projects we are working on.
This role will have a lot of variety and be key to the effective functioning of the division. You will be working very closely with the Head of Quantum Software in managing the division, giving your input into the technical and commercial direction. You will also use your knowledge and experience to help coach and support our scientific and technical teams in their delivery.
You will also lead and run various projects and initiatives of your own, which may be scientific, commercial or operational in their nature. In doing so you will look to implement project management techniques to shape and drive projects through their full lifecycle, balancing resource and capability requirements. You will also become a first point of contact to all other business unit heads as they support our development.
As CQC participates in many different collaboration projects and partnerships with various partners, institutions, such as leading tech companies, start-ups, universities and government agencies, which can involve grants, funding and other collaboration inititives. You will take on ownership in managing these arrangements, including writing proposals, managing budgets and relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. Any experience in this area will be advantageous.
Critically important in this role is your passion for investing in our team. We have some of the most talented scientists in their field and you will play a key role in supporting their ongoing development. Through regular check-ins, feedback and coaching and you will help to continue to raise our capabilities in this emerging field. You will also play an active part in hiring new talent, working closely with our wonderful HR team to manage the recruitment, selection and onboarding of new team members.
- To fulfil this role you will need to have a strong scientific background, having either an MSc or a PhD in science, mathematics or engineering.
- We would also like you to have some previous management experience, ideally in scientific software development environments, having led and developed technical teams.
- You will either have research experience in quantum computing or experience in software development. I.e. you will be a quantum computerist with some software development experience or you will be experienced in software development with an interest in quantum computing.
- As you will lead projects you will have a good understanding of software development lifecycles and managing projects.
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator, who enjoys communicating with both scientific and non-scientific stakeholders.
- You enjoy working on a variety of different projects which are both scientific and operational and possess a ‘get things done’ kind of attitude.
- You will be proficient and help others get the most out of various collaboration tools to help manage out onsite and remote teams (e.g. Git, Jira, Confluence, Slack).
- If you also have experience in project management methodologies, knowledge of category theory and experience writing proposals for grant funding, then you are a dream come true. However, don’t worry if you don’t have experience or knowledge in these areas as they are not imperative to get started in this role.
What is in it for you?
We offer an amazing opportunity to join a world leading quantum computing company. You will be working alongside a highly talented team, with world leading names in the quantum computing industry. We offer a highly competitive package, which includes 28 days holiday plus bank holidays, a workplace pension and we have a positive approach to flexible working.
Established in 2014, Cambridge Quantum Computing (CQC) is a world leading independent quantum computing software company. CQC design solutions that benefit from quantum computing even in its earliest forms and allow the most effective access to these solutions for the widest variety of corporate and government users.
CQC combines expertise in the product areas of quantum software, specifically a quantum compiler t|ket⟩™⟩, enterprise applications in the area of quantum chemistry, quantum machine learning (“QML”), and quantum encryption.
The successful applicant will join one of the most exciting young companies in the world with the potential to dominate innovation across all aspects of the economy and society.
Applicants should send a CV with cover note to email@example.com